Friday, February 17, 2012

there are signs everywhere...


I am a big fan of the movie Fools Rush In, starring Matthew Perry and Salma Hayek. If you haven’t seen it, and you’re in the mood for a romantic comedy, you should. I saw it for the first time with my dad, and have seen it since many times with Yoni, and we all quote lines back and forth to each other not infrequently. Why am I talking about Fools Rush In? Well, one of the lines that gets repeated in the movie is “there are signs everywhere.” Inspired by Fools Rush In, and by the people of Japan, today I bring you a collection of some of the funniest Japanese/Okinawan signs Yoni and I have come across so far.

  
Some of you might have seen this picture posted on Facebook; it’s the outside of Yoni’s and my favorite restaurant. Unfortunately, we don’t have any idea what it’s called! After 5 weeks of Japanese classes, I can decipher several words on the sign – you should definitely be impressed - but unfortunately they are all descriptive, and not name-worthy.


Yoni and I came across this sign on a hike. It speaks for itself…but also was a sign (ha) (to me, at least) that Japanese people do have a sense of humor hiding somewhere.

  
I think this photo was taken on the same day.

  
This needs no explanation.

 
A while back, Yoni and I visited Shuri Castle, the former seat of the Okinawan monarchy. The castle tour itself was kind of blah, but I did like these signs which kept us on the correct (and very regimented) path.


Who knew?! There was also a sign to Malibu Beach across the street from this display…


This past week, as part of Yoni’s birthday celebration, we went to our local zoo. It was a very interesting place (and a pretty sad zoo) – and they had some particularly funny signage. The above sign was next to the bear cage…
 

 …and this one was outside each of the 3 lion cages. 

  
This was taken at the airport in Okinawa. It’s a classic example of Japanese manners and etiquette.

I’m sure there will be further additions to this series; there are way too many funny things floating around Japan for there not to be. However, in my never-ending quest to bring Japan to you, I hope this gave you all a small sense of how funny (and confusing) life can be here on a daily basis.

For now, Shabbat Shalom from とうきょう (Tokyo), where I am spending the weekend with Shula!


No comments:

Post a Comment