Friday, November 1, 2013

tug-of-war


A few weeks ago, Yoni and I attended the world’s largest tug-of-war. I can’t say I ever knew that was a thing – who keeps track of something like that? – but turns out it is, and the world’s largest takes place every year on Okinawa's main road, 58. Think of it as our Queens Blvd equivalent. Oh, Okinawa…

I don’t have too much to say about it; mostly what I’ll remember was almost being trampled several times and not being able to see anything except for occasional views of a huge rope (no joke, it weighs 40 tons). But it was, as we say in Hebrew, a chavayah – an experience.  And after almost two years here on Okinawa, Yoni and I are all about finding new experiences.

Actually, the truth is that this tug-of-war was one of the first things that Yoni read about after we found out we were moving here. He was super excited about it, but because of scheduling and logistics and Jewish holidays, we weren’t able to attend until this year. Unfortunately, the actual event didn’t really live up to the hype.  It did produce some funny pictures, though – almost all of which were taken randomly with my camera over my head. I really couldn’t see anything.

I took out my camera to snap a picture of Yoni and this guy (a member of the tug-of-war staff, maybe?) jumped in. Talk about photo bombing!
A glimpse of the rope, as well as some of the participants.
The flags had something to do with an epic battle between neighborhoods. I think. Maybe.
Smaller "tributary ropes" being passed into the crowd in preparation for the main event.

This is the "we are trying to have fun but is it time to go home yet?" face.

All of a sudden, the large golden ball that had been raised in the air earlier in the day exploded! Talk about a surprise.

At least it was pretty.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment