Friday, May 30, 2014

Some Items Reconsidered

One of the weirdest and most wonderful things about driving to work in Okinawa is listening to NPR’s “All Things Considered” and “Marketplace”.

Weird because listening to a round up of today’s news headlines first thing in the morning is definitively weird.  Wonderful because Robert SiegelAudie Cornish and Melissa Block are my co-pilots.

I have been a big fan of NPR for a long time.  WHRV 89.5 was the standard radio setting in both cars, and most mornings began with the news on in 3 radios across the house.  It is possible that I memorized all of the standard giveaways during the semi-annual pledge drives (if you are feeling generous, you can call 889-9476 or 800-940-7170 to donate during the next pledge drive, and no, I didn’t have to look up those numbers). I am the elusive “Under-40” NPR Listener Demographic (Don’t even get me started about “Wait Wait… Don’t Tell Me!” and “Fresh Air”). 

When AFN cuts out the AM channel (which offers All Things Considered in the morning), I get bummed out and complain to Leora all day.

When there is an article (I refer to pieces on the radio as articles, even though Leora and family prefer to call them something else) that inspires me, it is all that I can think of for a little time.

I was driving to work on Thursday, when LaVar Burton came on air and talked about his KickStarter campaign to raise 1 million dollars to bring “Reading Rainbow” to a new generation.  (If you don’t yet know about this campaign, I highly recommend you read about it and donate even a couple dollars at https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/readingrainbow/bring-reading-rainbow-back-for-every-child-everywh)

Since then, I have written a Shabbos drash about Reading Rainbow.  Sung the theme song up and down the halls of my battalion.  I have been inspired to open a couple of the books that adorn my office. 

All things considered, it’s a pretty good way to start the day.

No comments:

Post a Comment